3 Kinds Of Leftover You Should Never Ever Eat Again
If you are a kind of person who doesn’t want to mess out to save everything, next time you should think twice before doing such things like constantly eating leftover foods, as leftovers could be bad for your overall health.
Obvious, leftover foods don’t taste desirable as when they were fresh, but they are very convenient especially you just can put them in a microwave for a few minutes and the food is ready to be served.
However, with consumption of leftover foods, is the risk of food poisoning. Moreover, as stated by the Food Standards Agency, the secret to safe eating 4 Cs: Cooking, Cleaning, Chilling, and Cross-contamination or avoiding it.
Hence, they point out the importance of safe and secure cooking, especially when it comes to cooking meat so that possible harmful bacteria will be destroyed. And when it comes to reheating foods, you need to make sure that the food is steaming hot all the way through, and never reheat dishes more than once.
You should never reheat these foods:
– The concern with leftover rice is the way of storing it. The Food Standards Agency holds that uncooked rice might contain bacteria which are harmful that survive the initial cooking process. And, if leftover rice is not stored at the right temperature, these bacteria spores can grow and multiply, thus, lead to some digestion problems like vomiting and diarrhea. These spores can even survive in hot boiling temperatures.
– Therefore the best solution is to consume rice right after it is cooked, and if you have leftovers, put them in the fridge immediately. Don’t leave the rice at a room temperature for more than an hour.
2. Vegetable Oils
– Reheating your leftovers with this oil increases the chance of heart diseases, cancer and stroke. Moreover, recent studies have found out that repeated heating up of polyunsaturated oils with the linoleic acid like canola, corn, soybean, and sunflower oils, might release toxins that lead to various health problems. Precisely, this toxin is called 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal. Many studies have associated its consumption with serious health problems like Alzheimer’s disease, liver ailments and much more. American Dietetic Association spokesman, Jeannie Moloo, said that constant reheating of vegetable oils lead to the release of the abovementioned toxin.
– Although some people believe that reheating green leafy veggies can make them toxic, it is actually the storing process that increases the toxicity. Based on the Center for Food Safety, leftover vegetables should not be left in an area where the temperature is below 4 degrees celsius. If you want to store them for more than 12 hours, you should not put them in a freezer. Because a lot of vegetables like celery, spinach and lettuce contain nitrate.
– Although nitrate is not dangerous on its own, when vegetables are left at room temperature, bacteria cause the accumulation of nitrite – a metabolite of nitrate. The consumption of nitrate can be harmful to infants and young children as it can lead to a blood disorder called methemoglobinemia whose symptoms are headaches, seizures, fatigue and shortness of breath.
So what can you say about this one? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below and don’t forget to share this blog post with your family and friends using Facebook and Twitter. Also, don’t forget to visit our website and Facebook page more often for more updates.