Malacañang on Wednesday made it clear that it would not accept apologies or excuses from individuals who circulated a fabricated hospital report about President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s medical condition, stressing that accountability must prevail in the fight against online disinformation.

Palace press officer Claire Castro emphasized that the spread of false information—particularly involving the President’s health—has serious consequences not only for the individual targeted but also for the broader public.
“The law must be enforced. Those who violate the law must be held accountable,” Castro said, underscoring that creating online content should not be treated lightly when it has the potential to mislead communities and fuel fake news.
The statement came after vlogger Jack Argota appeared before investigators at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to address a cyberlibel complaint filed against him by the agency. Argota admitted to reposting the alleged medical report, explaining that he did so to “ride the trend” and increase engagement on his social media platforms.
He told reporters that he initially believed the document was legitimate, noting that it had already been widely shared online by other users. However, authorities stressed that reposting unverified material does not absolve individuals of responsibility, particularly when the content could damage reputations or misinform the public.
The NBI also confirmed that cyberlibel complaints have been filed against former broadcaster Jay Sonza and vlogger Jeffrey Luces Celiz for allegedly sharing content derived from the same fabricated hospital record.
The fake document began circulating shortly after President Marcos publicly disclosed on January 22 that he had been diagnosed with diverticulitis, a common intestinal condition. The timing of the false report amplified speculation and confusion online.
St. Luke’s Medical Center, whose logo appeared on the falsified document, swiftly denied the authenticity of the circulating report and clarified that it did not issue such a statement regarding the President’s health.
Malacañang reiterated its call for responsible digital behavior, warning that the government will continue to pursue legal action against those who deliberately create or spread misinformation. Officials said the incident serves as a reminder that freedom of expression carries corresponding responsibilities, especially in the age of viral social media content.