Lists of the Health Benefits and Disadvantages People Who Drink Coffee Should Ponder On
Coffee, like other drinks, have its own share of health benefits and disadvantages that people must consider.
One of the drinks that many people are hooked to is coffee – it may come warm or cold, or even in ice shake form. Undeniably, a lot of people can’t let the day pass without having at least one cup of it.
In fact, other people can’t start their day without it. It has become a part of the breakfast meal and then another cup in the afternoon – when sleepiness begins to pat one’s shoulder.
But, there are a lot of things that people must consider when it comes to drinking coffee. Among them are its health benefits and the disadvantages.
Based on an article on Eating Well, here are the lists of some of the health benefits and disadvantages of drinking coffee:
- Reduces risk of brain-related illness. Studies show that drinking coffee between 1-5 cups per day reduces the risk of dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease due to the drink’s antioxidants.
- Lowers risk of Type 2 Diabetes. The antioxidants present in coffee is also seen to be a great defense against Type 2 diabetes as they boost the sensitivity of the cells to insulin.
- Benefits for the heart. Moderate drinking of coffee can help reduce the risk of stroke as antioxidants help reduce the inflammation that damages the arteries.
- Cause of sleeplessness. The present of caffeine in the drink can make a person find it hard to sleep leading to sleeplessness. This condition may lead to other health concerns.
- Java Jones. Based on the article, human’s sensitivity to caffeine may lead to irritability and to its tolerance. That is why a lot of people habitually drink it as their body is finding it.
- May increase bad cholesterol. Cafestol, a compound that increases the bad cholesterol in the body, can be present in boiled or unfiltered coffee.